On this week’s episode, I answer a listener question:
"What should a new writer focus on the most?"
The one most important thing to focus on is writing.
- You would not believe how many people I talk to who are “waiting to be inspired.”
- Their short answer is, “No, I am not writing.”
- Only the process of doing it gets it done.
I hear terribly incomplete advice given to writers.
- Write what you’re interested in, but keep seeking more information.
- It will get you excited when you find what you don’t know.
- You have to think it terms of, “What do other people want to learn?”
- How will this help others?
Two things I ask myself before any project
- Is anybody else doing this?
- Will this help people who are hurting?
There are several things in common with the books I really enjoy.
- Stories—They all started "in the action" and I didn’t really know what was happening.
- Reveals—That’s who that is! Or thats what’s happening!
So what are the three most important focuses for a young writer? I’ll give you five.
- Write Regularly
- Write Regardless
- Reach Others
- Be Relentless
Don’t Give Up—the best book is stuck in somebody’s drawer.
Now, with Amazon and everything, self-published books are much more viable. You don’t have to sell out of the back of your trunk anymore.
Questions for Listeners
Do you have a question? Call in and your question might be featured on the show!
• Phone: 1-800-726-ANDY
• E-Mail: InTheLoop@AndyAndrews.com