In this episode, I talk about selfishness, and how it can keep you and everyone around you from growing.
One of the top three most important things Jones ever told me was, “Most people live their entire lives and never understand that you can’t always believe everything you think.”
- I received a call a few months ago from a company that lost one of their executives to another company offering more money, and it was a big problem.
- The company let him go because they wouldn’t match the offer for a reason that they may think is true, but it’s not.
- I think if Moses spent more time on the mountain he would have come back with the 11th decision, “Thou shalt not kid thyself.”
The truth isn’t that they couldn’t match the offer; the truth is that they chose not to match the offer.
- The deeper issue is… what is in your belief system or plans for the future that causes you to choose not to match that offer?
- Did that person start developing bad habits or peak with what they were bringing to the company?
You want to increase your value, but watch the people you work with and keep an eye on their value.
- As an example let’s say that you’ve made $100,000 for many years.
- There is an opportunity to bring someone new to the team, but they will be making $350,000.
- In turn, they bring enough value to raise your salary to $175,000.
- Don’t let jealousy get in the way of something that could be great for the company and great for you.
- The bottom line is there are many ways to increase your value.
Questions for Listeners
Do you have a question? Call in and your question might be featured on the show!
- Phone: 1-800-726-ANDY
- E-Mail: InTheLoop@AndyAndrews.com